Dead Space 2 Hard Core Tips

SquaredSumo705

I am writing this while on chapter 14 and wanted to give some advice that I hope people can use on the Hard Core difficulty setting.

1.Make Sure You Can Sit Down and Play

This will come in handy because you will not have to waste any of your saves before you actually need them.

2. Early Bonus Armor

Now the Arcade game Dead Space Ignition allowed the player to earn armor for Dead Space 2 and the collector's edition comes with some great armor as well. Use them for the easy for a beginning boost.

3. The Weapons

This is my personal choice, but the Zealot Force Gun(or regular) and the Plasma Cutter are all you should need to beat the game. The Force Gun is great for almost every enemy in the game and especially helpful in situations where you will get surrounded. The Plasma Cutter I would recommend because it is still a very great weapon to have for all the other necromorphs.

The good thing about Dead Space 2 is that you will usually only get ammo for the guns you have in your possession and rarely anything else.So having just these two guns will ensure you have a constant stream of ammo you can depend on.

4. Where To Save

Again this is my preference, but I saved for the first time during chapter 8 when you get to the meat processing plant and again in chapter 11. Save only when you feel it is necessary, if it is for a break try to leave the console on rather than wasting a save (if it can be avoided)

5. Use the Wall

To take on the necromorphs I recommend keeping your back against the wall (if possible) using the force gun for multiple necromorphs and the Plasma Cutter for everything else.

6. Patience

I cannot tell you how many times I have been killed from careless mistakes. I suggest taking your time and carefully study your environments.

The game is not too hard if your pay attention. During the final chapters it is easy to get overwhelmed, but the Force Gun really will be a life saver near the end. I hope this helped at least one person out, now if you will excuse me I need to take a break from killing necromorphs and make a sandwich.

Edit Stasis ans Kinesis

I forgot about this, but Kinesis will usually take only 2 hits to kill a necromorph wish a severed arm and Stasis is always good to use on those blasted Stalkers

Edited by SquaredSumo705
More Information

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am writing this while on chapter 14 and wanted to give some advice that I hope people can use on the Hard Core difficulty setting.

This will come in handy because you will not have to waste any of your saves before you actually need them.

2. Early Bonus Armor

Now the Arcade game Dead Space Ignition allowed the player to earn armor for Dead Space 2 and the collector's edition comes with some great armor as well. Use them for the easy for a beginning boost.

3. The Weapons

This is my personal choice, but the Zealot Force Gun(or regular) and the Plasma Cutter are all you should need to beat the game. The Force Gun is great for almost every enemy in the game and especially helpful in situations where you will get surrounded. The Plasma Cutter I would recommend because it is still a very great weapon to have for all the other necromorphs.

The good thing about Dead Space 2 is that you will usually only get ammo for the guns you have in your possession and rarely anything else.So having just these two guns will ensure you have a constant stream of ammo you can depend on.

4. Where To Save

Again this is my preference, but I saved for the first time during chapter 8 when you get to the meat processing plant and again in chapter 11. Save only when you feel it is necessary, if it is for a break try to leave the console on rather than wasting a save (if it can be avoided)

5. Use the Wall

To take on the necromorphs I recommend keeping your back against the wall (if possible) using the force gun for multiple necromorphs and the Plasma Cutter for everything else.

6. Patience

I cannot tell you how many times I have been killed from careless mistakes. I suggest taking your time and carefully study your environments.

The game is not too hard if your pay attention. During the final chapters it is easy to get overwhelmed, but the Force Gun really will be a life saver near the end. I hope this helped at least one person out, now if you will excuse me I need to take a break from killing necromorphs and make a sandwich.

Thanks for the guide man! I'll be sure to follow this. Great Job!

This is a given. :) I always leave my console on for days at a time and have yet to see any ill effects from doing so.

2. Early Bonus Armor

I didnt get the CE but I did purchase the Martial Law DLC Pack, which gives you 6 weapons for free at the first store and and 2 suits. One of the suits give you 5% extra force gun damage and the other standard bonuses that come with all 15 inventory slot suits.

3. The Weapons

I wanted to clarify on the ammo you will recieve. For killing and stomping enemies, the ammo rewards can be for any gun you currently have equipped OR any gun you have in your safe. I recommend buying just the force gun and keeping the plasma cutter this way you always have plenty of ammo for the guns you will be using.

4. Where To Save

I am on chapter 14 as well and I preferred using my saves in the same places leaving the last save for right before the final boss fight.

5. Use the Wall

Unless of course they come out of a door behind you! During your other playthroughs, take note of spawn points as sometimes one hit that you could have prevented could mean 3 hours lost.

6. Patience

Tell me about patience, HAHA...I got to the Eye Poke Machine and got distracted by my girlfriend and screwed it up!! That wasa very frustrating death to say the least.

Forgot to mention, keep your inventory filled with around 6 med packs, 4 stacks of ammo for each gun, and 2-3 stacks of stasis nodes (after getting advanced suit you will have this inventory space).

Edited by FSparacino4

Great guide! I was thinking of posting this, but you beat me to it.

Completely agree about the loadout. CE armor is extremely helpful, and I use the same weapons: Plasma cutter and force gun. The force gun is seriously underrated, most people like the contact beam. But the force gun is a LIFESAVER! It's alternate fire makes it very useful at medium range, too.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7695/27012011724.jpg

My Saves on hardcore, using the 7 chapter glich.

Tactic: Learn the game (made a walktrought to my own web to remenber when/where the enemys apear), use Cutter and stabby, upgrade equip, nothing more needed XD

Pd: Really really really easy mode and game, dont worry about 1000g ;)

I have not started my hardcore yet, but on zealot one of the tricks that helped me beat impossible on DS1 was taking mental notes on when those necro makers appear(looks like a stingray, no idea on the name). I always smashed up the corpses when i could, and when i couldn't, i did my best to kill them before they were finished with their body. It can save you alot of ammo and health, the ones they make are usually tougher than usual and deal more damage.

Also what is this ch7 checkpoint glitch, and how do i avoid it?

I have not started my hardcore yet, but on zealot one of the tricks that helped me beat impossible on DS1 was taking mental notes on when those necro makers appear(looks like a stingray, no idea on the name). I always smashed up the corpses when i could, and when i couldn't, i did my best to kill them before they were finished with their body. It can save you alot of ammo and health, the ones they make are usually tougher than usual and deal more damage.

Also what is this ch7 checkpoint glitch, and how do i avoid it?

you cant avoid the glitch , but its a glitch that helps you out, you get 3 saves for hardcore but once you get to chapter 7 and have to swap discs the game automatically puts this as a sorta save without you using a save, so if you die you would go back to chapter 7 if you didnt make another save after swapping discs.

I heard this game is worth every penny and more, im considering buying it;but what do u think?or maybe should i wait for Gears 3?

Fuck Gears of War 3 lol just my personal preference all gears have been a let down whereas dead space has always provided a good game for me.

I heard this game is worth every penny and more, im considering buying it;but what do u think?or maybe should i wait for Gears 3?
This game is definitely worth it, one of my favourites on the 360. Are you aware that Gears 3 doesn't come out until at least September? I'm sure you'll have more money by that point.

Do you recommend searching every room for ammo and power nodes, or stay on the path? I suspect the latter, but you never know. Usually enemies spawn when you enter/exit certain rooms, and I don't want to die from some random necro just because I went exploring. Also, what do you recommend upgrading first - rig, stasis, plasma cutter, or force gun? I'm going to try to get to chapter 7 without saving, so the gaps inbetween saves aren't as large.

Great guide! I was thinking of posting this, but you beat me to it.

Completely agree about the loadout. CE armor is extremely helpful, and I use the same weapons: Plasma cutter and force gun. The force gun is seriously underrated, most people like the contact beam. But the force gun is a LIFESAVER! It's alternate fire makes it very useful at medium range, too.

The Contact Beam is great only for the final battle with the Marker.

Damn man. I'm on my 3rd attempt on efffn HARDCORE.

Died the 1st time Chapter II - Train Ride, when you hanging upside down. Had a yellow RIG and some Necrobitch fucked me up with one slash.

2nd time was Chapter IV - Stalker Ambush in the church. He ran straigth @ me and I was watching watching watching and BAAAM killed me with one ram-attack. Haha I was sooo hypnotized. :o

End of the story, I managed to get to Chapter V, took my 1st SAVE right after the Cryo-Rooms (Demo). Puuuuuuuh! I almost had a heart attack.

As for this thread: IF YOU HAVE A YELLOW RIG & a NECRO is near you, act FAST, fight back, STASIS, heal yourself, just DO SOMETHING or else YOU'RE FUCKED!!! ;)

Btw: Playing it without any DLCs or CE things. Just me, myself & my Plasmacutter. :D

I've produced several published guides for this already and I've always used the Line Gun, Ripper, Javelin Gun and the Flamethrower for my playthroughs.

It's a great mix of short and long range weapons that have served me well. In fact, you can use the Javelin Gun on the last boss to kill it in under 60 seconds (or just over that on Hardcore mode).

And then combined with the Money Glitch (if you have the DLC suits) and the infinite Nodes, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Q. Does the damage in Hardcore increase?

and is it true that there is "4" save points the 4th being when u change the to disc 2???

The damage are set of survivalist difficulty (The one just before zealot)

The drops are set on the hardest difficulty of the game (Zealot)

Yes there are 4 if you count the infinite checkpoint in the elvator of the chapter 7.

But, if you leave, go to dashboard or close your xbox and didn't save, your 7th chapter checkpoint glitch won't work and you will be obligated to re-start from chapter 1, so take care!

Everybody talking about Force gun,but you get it on chapter seven.How hard is it to get to chapter seven only with Plasma cutter?

I did buy the 400msp dlc's and so I can have every gun with some upgrades for free and at the first market, so this way I didn't wait till chapter 7 to get it :D

Edited by Dan.Pro

When I got to the train part ( Hanging upside down ) I think I got hit once. It's probably since I'm on a easy difficulty, but I was wondering if anyone knows where the necro's come out while your upside down ? I know theirs two that come in front of you after a couple of seconds pass, and two that appear near a vent to your left. Anyone know?

Everybody talking about Force gun,but you get it on chapter seven.How hard is it to get to chapter seven only with Plasma cutter?

I just used the Plasma cutter up to chapter seven. Just dump nodes into damage and make sure you have plenty of ammo and stasis. Upon using Force gun I hate it, I would suggest the Contact as the secondary can be a life saver when surrounded by several enhanced necros.

I just used the Plasma cutter up to chapter seven. Just dump nodes into damage and make sure you have plenty of ammo and stasis. Upon using Force gun I hate it, I would suggest the Contact as the secondary can be a life saver when surrounded by several enhanced necros.

I'm using the plasma cutter and the detonator personally, and I'm finding it to be a very useful combination. I rarely carry more than 20 detonator mines on me at a time, which is always more than enough (I've never run out once) since you can recover ones that don't get destroyed, and a direct hit against many enemies kills without any upgrades, or severely wounds, and the things is beyond valuable in the elevator scene (though I can imagine the force gun, and possibly the contact beam would be here as well). and of course, it makes all the stalker encounters pretty easy, as you can bunker up in a corner and force them to run through your mines (I always set 2 up, one about a foot or so behind the other, ensures if the first one doesn't kill them, the second does.)

As far as any upgrading goes, I upgraded my rig to the first health as soon as i could, and ONLY upgraded it for health, and my plasma cutter i did damage and capacity over reload speed if i had a choice, and I've only upgraded stasis to three shots and 2 duration slots. I've been exploring around, but always using kenesis to grab items that are way out there or off the beaten path when I can to avoid extra spawns.

Doing this I've only died 3 times so far, and once was because I think I accidentally shot something holding the train up so i fell and it crushed me.

The damage are set of survivalist difficulty (The one just before zealot)

The drops are set on the hardest difficulty of the game (Zealot)

Yes there are 4 if you count the infinite checkpoint in the elvator of the chapter 7.

Oh wow, that is pretty much a relief to hear about, considering the damage level of the mode. I'm playing on Zealot just now and don't think the damage is too punishing, so dropping it a level sounds more than fine. Also I'm doing okay with the amount of item drops, and can probably do better by prioritizing what I spend credits on, like the idea of having a two gun loadout.

I figure the trickiest part will be figuring out what save points to use, and trying not to get ambushed by any enemies.

Quick question: Can you not use New Game + for hardcore at all?